Saturday, October 22, 2011

Halloween meringue thigh bones

Halloween is by far my favorite holiday. In fact I scare some of my friends with how far I go with Halloween parties (no pun intended). This year I decided to make bone meringues. Many recipes call for cream of tartar. This is not readily available in Finland, so I used this sugar company recipe:
Makes approxiamately 9-18 meringues
Ingredients
3 egg whites (room temperature)
½ tsp lemon juice
1 ¼ dl powdered sugar
1 dl granulated sugar
1 tsp potato powder

Instructions
In a metal or glass bowl, whip together egg whites, lemon juice and the sugars until they are hard, i.e. they leave a trace. Add the potato powder and whip together.
Put the ingredients into a ziplock bag and close. Cut out a corner out of one of the edges and press out the form of a bone.
Cooking:
1. 1. Cook for 1 hr. in a 100⁰C degree oven.
2. 2. Cook for another hour in a 50⁰C degree oven.
3. 3. Turn the oven off and crack the oven door a bit. Let the meringues dry over night in the oven (I didn’t do this and they turned out fine).
Hint:  You can smooth the ”dough” using the tip of a knife.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment